Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I don't like Afgan food :(


Well, that's the cold, hard truth....I'm not even sure if calling it "Afgan food" is correct, but let's just simply say I don't care for it...whatever it is...

Yep, last night we made an appearance at Samira...one of the many ethnic restaurants that are crammed into our downtown square here in Bloomy (those of you who have never made a visit to Bloomy...just know that it's a VERY ethnically diversified place thanks mostly to IU). I'll be honest. I don't ever even think I've seen this restaurant on the corner and I drive by there almost every week. So you know this wasn't my choice for dinner with Kev's co-workers and boss last night, but I sucked it up and tried to be open to trying new things. Anyway....let's just say I am still burping up whatever "mante" (rice/dumpling surprise) thing I ate....and it's starting to make me feel quite a bit quesy. I keep trying to mask the taste with chocolate, but it's not helping...yuck! :( I think I'll be sticking to my American cuisine from now on. I'm just a simple downhome girl that likes "normal" food. I guess now I know I shouldn't travel abroad for a long period of time...I'd probably starve :)

Anyway...so the night out on the town was ok. The food wasn't horrible, but I felt awkard not drinking the wine that everyone else was drinking (I hate wine just as much as I hate beer...and actually I very much dislike any type of liquor...I'm a virgin dacquiri kinda girl all the way :))....anyway....and I felt bad not eating all my meal (cuz everyone else seemed to wolf theirs down with rave reviews...and if you know me I rarely leave food on my plate since I don't like being wasteful)....and I felt equally as awkward not ordering dessert (again...if you know my eating habits...I could eat three main meals a day of just dessert...but somehow I didn't feel tempted by baklava or chunky milk pudding....even Kev got dessert (which is very rare...I think I can count on one hand how many times he's ordered dessert...was he brown-nosing...maybe?)....anyway....so I made it through my first "ethnic" dinner. In all honesty it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that good either. I think I'll stick to Texas Roadhouse and Applebees (or Chilis where the above picture was taken...yummy choc. dessert!) :) But, I will say the company was humorous and Kev's boss (whom I think I met once back when we only had Hailey) is a great guy...very down to earth. It was a good time in spite of some weird food...and it was kinda nice to have a night away from the kiddos (which we never have any more...thanks, Aunt Kim and kids for helping with our kids!). Anyway...so it was an ok night and I made it through a meal that I had some big doubts about beforehand....but, I still wonder...am I the only one out there that just likes our plain ol' US of A food...maybe I am?! So be it :)


(p.s. Happy 30th B-day to my ol' elementary school BFF, Wendi...I just realized today is her big 3-0...whohoo, girl! I've actually known Wen since the day she was born 30 years ago, which is pretty crazy. I think I have a picture of me standing over her bassinet when she was a newborn and I was 4 1/2 mos old (can that be right, mom or Wen?) Anyway..Wendi lives in MN now but she's soon-to-be a FL resident again with her husband, John (a newly graduated doctor). Wendi and John are both great people and I admire them so much. So, Happy 30th, my friend! I love ya', Wen! Praying this new decade of life for you is the BEST ever!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you on the American food. I could live solely on pizza (American??-does it really matter-it's American by my standards), burgers, fries and American desserts (chocolate (any variety), apple pie, ice cream etc). Not that it would be good for the old waist-line:) But who cares...I would die happy!
Ann

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Ah...thank you, Ann! I knew you of all people would stick with me on the "all American" food! Bless you! I felt a bit crazy when I was the only one at the table who was not oohing and ahhing over their Afghan delicacies! And, yes, pizza counts as American! I agree...I could eat pizza every day...an, amen on chocolate...can't live w/o it! I agree...forget the ol' waistline...dying happy is a good thing! :) You crack me up! Thanks for sticking by me on the food thing! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

yep, I have that picture somewhere, of you Kelly, standing over Wendi as she was lying in a portable baby bed....that was in the days before we strapped kids in, like they do now...you guys grew up together and were the best of friends!We even have the WONDERFUL naked pics of you guys taking a bath together! Too cute! :)

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Just saw this comment from you, Mom...

I'm glad I was right about that pic of me and Wen...I remember it clear as day...me standing over her as she slept...it was very cute :)

And, yes, I almost mentioned in my post that bath picture of me and Wen with our lovely bare bottoms showing. Ah, gotta be proud of that! Thanks, mom! :)

Wen has always been a true friend...it was fun growing up with her...I have fond memories of those days. And I'm thankful we have remained friends. She has been a great support to me even in my "older years" :)