Well, in the midst of the holiday hustle and bustle I wanted to give a big ol' shout-out to my wonderful Grandma G. in FL! She turned the big 8-0 today and I must say she doesn't look a day over 40 :) Really...she's a young whipper snapper at heart and to prove that, my whole family down there got her a state of the art exercise bike so she can stay slim, trim, healthy and beautiful for many years to come! (not that she needed a bike to do that for her!) :) I guess she was pretty stoked about the gift and I can't wait to see her zooming around (or in place) on it when we arrive later this week! You go, grandma! I know what a bumpy, winding and difficult road you've had the last couple years with grandpa and his illness and his passing onto the heavenly realm. But, I've see this amazing strength, courage and peace about you through that all and I truly admire you for your faithfulness and spirit of hope even in the midst of grief and tragedy. I know that was and is not an easy thing...to lose your lifelong love and to have him taken by the disease of cancer. It tore at all our hearts, but I still remember the last day I saw grandpa in the VA hospital and how you hugged me as I was sobbing and you said "it's all so hard isn't it"....and you were so strong even in the midst of your sadness and grief. It has always been that strength of faith and character that I have admired about you since I was a small girl. You've always had that peace about you. I still think of you as that young grandma who worked in the FLCS (my old school) office where I could go to for solice if I was having a bad day or if I was sick...it was always a comfort to know I had family right there to give me a hug. And now here you are...the great-grandma of my three kids and you're still as young at heart as you were back then. I am so thankful for you, grandma, and for the 80 years you've lived on this earth...I'm thankful for the legacy you and grandpa made with our family and for the love you still give to us all. It was so good to hear your voice today...and I'm glad the family spoiled you and kept you on your toes all day. We were thinking of you on your big day and we'll hug you in person on Friday! Happy 80th!! XOXOXO
(the above pic is when we celebrated her b-day last year in FL :))
2 comments:
Well here you go....made me cry again! I hope your Grandma had the happiest of birthdays! It's nice to see all of the lovely ladies you come from Kelly! Seems that all of their characters and ideals have rubbed off on you!
Seriously, she looks Just as I remember her when I was like, 12. You Go Grama Gritter!
Post a Comment