Monday, September 30, 2013

Difficult Decisions

Well, I wasn't going to post today.  It's been a long day and I am pooped.  But, the evening brought about some discussion on difficult decisions so I am laying it out so I can clear my brain before sleep.

We've been faced with some sad situations lately.  Not in our immediate family of 7, but a couple very sudden, young deaths and tonight the possibility of a grandparent not making it much longer on this earth.  This is all heavy on our hearts.  And in moments like these sad ones, it brings to light what is really most important in life...people/family/friends--time spent with those you love...not piddly things or little stresses.  It also brings to light that young families like ourselves need to take care of making some big decisions.  Kev and I have been lacking in this department...not because we are lazy or don't care, but because we want to make the best decisions for our family if something were to happen to both of us.  I know neither of us wants to even think about something like that...but it could happen and we do need to be prepared so our kids are well taken care of.  Tonight we hashed it out :)  We talked of wills, insurance and those "lucky" folks who should be "parents" to our kids if we were both gone.  It's a big decision to us and not one we take lightly.  I think we are finally going to put it on paper and make it official and this is a good thing.  It's something every family needs to do.

And on a more important note, these sad situations are making us realize that life is too precious to not do all that you can with those you love.  Spend that quality time with those who mean the most to you.  If you miss a family member and want to go see them, even if they live 1000's of miles away...go see them.  If you want to take a vacation with your brother or sister, do it.  If someone means something to you, tell them....tell them in person if you can, or at the very least call them or write them a letter. Don't put off any of that b/c you never really do know when the last time is you'll see that person.  It's sad that death is what sometimes puts life in perspective, huh?    

4 comments:

Unknown said...

YOU are so right!!!! And along those lines, Aunt Susie is coming for CHRISTMAS!!!!!! Yippee!!! She is the smart one..just do it!( and she did!!)!!!! And she will get to meet all her nieces and nephews!...I know its hard to loose family and friends..a sad part of life..but very important to have things on paper for your kiddos to be taken care of, just in case! Sorry you had to face those issues when you are so tired..): Love you, Mom

Melissa said...

Your post is ironic and he FINALLY just finished our wills after about 8 years of putting it off. Hard conversations to have but it feels good to have it done.

Ann Tubergen said...

So your kids will be willed to me right?! I'll take them all :) Love you all....Ann

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Awww, love you, Ann! That's an incredible thing to offer. You know I'd trust you with them all and I know they would love being brought up in MI with your kiddos as their "sibs" :) You are like family to us anyway! Hugs!!