Ok, I've made an executive decision...
Someone needs to write a book on balancing the lives of a family of 7 (aka: 5 kids).
We Stegs need help.
We can't seem to motivate our 5 kids to do what needs to get done around this house, but I am the first to admit that this is not only their fault, but the example being set (Kev and I are too busy and unable to get stuff done too). It seems soooo easy to say "let's carve out this time to do this" and "let's say 'no' to this so we can do that"...but the reality is that it's hard to stay "on task" even for adults especially when we are exhausted.
Kev and I are just finding ourselves majorly frustrated....on oh-so-many levels.
1. It's nearly impossible to get anything done with a busy toddler in the house. I can't even go the bathroom lately w/o him banging on the door crying (he's a serious mama's boy lately, especially since being sick the last week). Not only is he always under foot, but he's just on a rampage lately. I can clean up a room and about 5 mins later her is like a tornado wreaking havoc....DVD's, toys, tupperware, pots and pans, markers, pencils...all over. He is the king of mess! This wouldn't be nearly so frustrating except that we are actually needing to get our house in order to possibly sell. Sometimes I think God gave us Logan as a sign that our timing may not be right on this one :)
2. The kids don't do tasks when asked. This got them in a heep of trouble yesterday (no treats for the day...which was torture for them!) It was "shoe-sort-Sunday" and the job was supposed to be a kid-one. It really wasn't that hard and I even labeled the floor with sizes and gave them careful instructions. I think you can guess who did most of the work and who did most of the crying when treats were gone for the evening.
3. Nobody helps each other. This is a major issue. Shelby asked Ashley for help tonight doing something simple and Ash refused. This is not surprising b/c Ash asks often and Shelby refuses. We had a big talk about the example we set to each other. But, lately their are few people in our house that selflessly just give. I think this should be something our kids strive to do...to help others.
4. No down time. Even on "slow" weekends like we've had lately...there is no down time for Kev and I. I long for grandparents to be in town to help us. We just feel like we have no support. Even though we might not be at a sporting/extra curricular activity our days are filled looking for things...looking for equipment for D's baseball season, taking SAB pics for ID, going to the store, going to the library for book reports...and this doesn't even include the other jobs like laundry, dishes, homework, baths, etc. It's just never-ending. I know this is the norm for any family and moreso for a larger family....but to never get a break from it...it's exhausting for Kev and I to not ever get any time to veg out that isn't before 10pm at night. It's really hard to get anything accomplished during the week, when we are so tired even from our weekends.
Anyway....I know this is all just part of life and this busy season we are in. I just long to take a deep breath sometimes and it feels now that I'm hyperventilating. I would love words of wisdom from someone out there who has conquered this kind of life successfully. I am feeling like I am flailing and even failing. And I don't like how I feel at the end of the day. Right now I feel like I have an ulcer. Mentally I am actually good right now (good weather is a huge bonus for me!). I just want to do better at all this and lead a more "free" life.
On a happy note...I might have gotten nothing tangible accomplished today, but I did have a great, great, great time hanging with friends at the park and walking the trail/creek area. Logan got to walk around with his two buddies, Isaac and Kinsey...last time we went to the park/trail he was stroller-bound. And Ash loved being with her two buds, Sydney and Audrey. It's a blessing to be able to enjoy nice weather again even when nothing gets accomplished in the home. :)
The wonderful, yet often hairpulling life story of a stay-at-home mom of five cuties (Hailey, Shelby, Dylan, Ashley & Logan) and the journey through life raising our family with the best hubby around (love you, Kevin), and enjoying the blessings God provides to us daily while trying to keep it all in perspective when bumps in the road arise!
Monday, March 31, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Well, these pics are long overdue...they are from the IN State Fair almost a month ago...but better late than never...I know my mom especial...
-
...school is back in session. Pinch me now. Where in the world did our summer go? Obviously we left it in the dust and now it's back ...
-
Why not take on a new instrument today?! 😬
No comments:
Post a Comment