Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My Firstborn...



Ok, so my super awesome pal that I've only met twice, Amanda, did this neat survey-like post on Mother's Day...I thought it was cute and meant to do it soon after Mother's Day, but forgot...so I'm doing it now. It's all about your firstborn...most of you might know this info, but if not here it is....


My First Baby... Here you go mommies - a different kind of survey for a change - it's all about your first born!

1. WAS YOUR FIRST PREGNANCY PLANNED? Umm, no! Let's just say Hailey wasn't in our "5 year plan" (but obviously God had other plans for our family :)).....and who knew that you could get pg while switching BC pills...go figure...obviously this "wise" old nursing student didn't :)

2. WERE YOU MARRIED AT THE TIME? Yes siree bob....but definitely not married long enough in my opinion (10 mos...and we were both pretty young...22 and 23)...not that I'm regretting that at all...it was all a complete blessing...and I've loved (almost) every minute of being a young married mommy :)

3. WHAT WERE YOUR REACTIONS? Hmmm....let's just say we were both in complete shock. I actually took a pregnacy (pee) test at work (I was working at Spectrum's South Campus in MI at the time)...I really don't even know what provoked me to take one but that I think I realized I was about a week late and thought "what the heck...taking a pregnancy test would be fun" :) So, I did...and it's funny...cuz I took it and it only had one line on it....so I threw it away...then about 30 minutes later I got this weird urge to go back and dig it out of the garbage...and sure enough there was half of a second line....HUH??? That had to be wrong...and what's with the half line anyway?? Did that mean I was "half pregnant??" I very naive back then as you can tell :) Anyway...so I took another one home to do with the FMU (first morning urine) the next day....yep, sure enough...plain as day positive! Let's just say I was "cautiously excited". Anyway...it happened to be the first day we were starting to finish our basement in our old house and Kev had all his buddies over at our house early so I didn't dare share the news or there is no way he would have even started the basement (and we NEEDED to have that done if we were gonna have a baby in a 2 bedroom house!)...anyway...I told him that night and I was crying, I think...and I think I just remember him not being able to find words to say and then saying "I guess that means we're gonna have a baby"...it was the nonchalant way he said it and the way he hugged me after that just melted my heart and I knew it was gonna be ok. But, I will say kinda what my friend Amanda said...Kev couldn't really even believe there was a baby in me til she came out....even the ultrasound kinda freaked him out...with the way the baby looked like an alien :) So, I guess he was cautiously excited too...and as excited as a guy could be. We both knew we wanted at least two kids so why not have them while we were young....

4. WAS ABORTION AN OPTION FOR YOU? No way...never!

5. HOW OLD WERE YOU? 22 (23 when she was born)

6. HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU WERE PREGNANT? Ok, so instead of retyping #3 I'm just gonna tell you to refer to that....I officially found at my part-time job at my Med Center customer service job...and then it was confirmed again the next morning in our bathroom...and if you know me you know I definitely DON'T trust a stick you pee on to tell you your life will be changing tremendously in 8 mos...so I had a blood test done at my Med Center and on Kev's 24th b-day (July 27) we snuck into the office and looked online to see my HCG results and found out we were truly expecting a little bundle :) Then the "all day" sickness hit home soon after and it was all downhill from there as I camped out on the couch for many months unable to function well :)

7. WHO DID YOU TELL FIRST? My mom...and she will agree with me that her response was not the normal "grandma-to-be response"....(granted we did wake her up from a nap), but when I told her she was "going to be a grandma" she blurted out, "one of your cats is pregnant??" Ha, Ha!!! Oh My...she will never live that one down?! (and BTW our cats are fixed :)) I guess she found it more believable that one of our two feline neutered companions (who have never had the pleasure of being around a male cat) were expecting...compared to the alternative that her firstborn newly married daughter who was still in nursing school was a "soon-to-be-mommy" :)...sorry for the BIG surprise, mom! :)

8. DID YOU WANT TO FIND OUT THE SEX? Nope...we (meaning I) wanted to be surprised for our first born (Kev very much dislikes surprises, but he went along for the ride to appease me :))...and we surely were surprised....we thought our SHE was a HE (even Kev's dad...a doctor...looked at our ultrasound video and thought he "saw something" and he was gonna have a grandson...I think he even brought a remote control race car to the delivery room...Sorry, Poppy Stegs....

9. DUE DATE: March 20, 2000

10. DID YOU DELIVER EARLY OR LATE? Obviously early...but I have my sneaking suspicion that I would have normally been like 2 weeks late with her cuz she was NOT ready to come out even with the induction....but she had to be delivered early due to IUGR (intrauterine growth retardation) issues and possible placenta problems...so we (meaning I) got cervical ripening on March 15, started pitocin on March 16 and after about 2 days of labor FINALLY had Hailey on St. Paddy's Day 2000 (March 17 for those that aren't Irish or don't have a calendar :))

11. DID YOU HAVE MORNING SICKNESS? Oh my goodness...I WISH I just had morning sickness...mine was all day every day for at least 5 mos (I still remember it starting on our first anniversary trip to Chicago...we got room service and I almost lost it...)...it was awful...good thing I forgot it enough to be pg a second and third time! :) I still remember sleeping with saltines by my bedside with a bucket on the floor and hardly being able to reach over and get the saltine cuz just the movement would make me more nauseous...then to make it all worse I had to start my last year of nursing classes and I also carried a bucket around with me in the car cuz the early morning rounds at the hospital made me soooooooooooo sick :( I truly don't know how I made it through nursing school being pg and having a baby....that was a miracle in itself :)

12. WHAT DID YOU CRAVE? I honestly don't remember....I vaguely remember wanting salad a lot (which is weird, cuz I really don't like salad)..and I want to say I craved peanuts too...but when you've been pg three times it's all kind of a blurr as far as cravings are concerned...maybe Kev would remember? I think he only made one run for ice cream for me back then :)

13. WHO IRRITATED YOU THE MOST? I don't believe anyone irritated me any more than they normally did before I was "with child"...but Kev might disagree :)

14. WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CHILD'S SEX? Girl!

15. DID YOU WISH YOU HAD THE OPPOSITE SEX OF WHAT YOU WERE GETTING? No way! I always saw myself with at least one girl if not two (I got my wish!) I assumed I was getting a boy though the first time around cuz everyone predicted that and I always kinda figured boys ran on both sides of our families and I'd be the "lucky one" with only boys. I was more than thrilled to find out it was a girl!!!! Not that I don't now love my son, but you know....I always dreamed of having a daughter and doing her hair and dressing her all cutsie...yes, I know...weird :)

16. HOW MANY POUNDS DID YOU GAIN THROUGHOUT THE PREGNANCY? I honestley don't remember...I wasn't much into keeping stats back then but if I had to guess I'd say 35lbs...it came off very quickly luckily...though I will say I am thinner now after my third than I ever was. Hmmm...thank you, breast feeding! It really was the miracle "calorie burner" for me...I'd highly recommend it!

17. DID YOU HAVE A BABY SHOWER? Yes, yes, yes, yes...we were blessed by a few baby showers....4 to be exact or maybe it was 5?! Thanks to all of you who shared in them...I remember them all well!

18. WAS IT A SURPRISE OR DID YOU KNOW? Only one was a surprise...the rest we knew about! The surprise one in FL actually wasn't a complete surprise....I don't know if Sulu knows this, but I kinda figured it out at her old house in FL...I saw the baby monitor that was on my registry hiding in her room in a bag when I went over to visit her and her family...I gathered something was up then...it is VERY hard to keep secrets from me...and when we went to my mom's friends to "see her new house" I had a feeling we weren't just going to "see the new house"...all my friends/family/church friends/old teachers...were there to shower me and our baby Stegs with love...it was a great time...I'll never forget it! :) All the other showers were great too....I loved the one in IN with all Kev's family/friends and the co-ed one with Kev's ISERV buddies...that was a hoot (adults eating baby food...nothing can beat that!)...and then my post-pregnancy shower thrown by my good nursing buddies in MI (Thanks, Ann!)...people are so generous!

19. DID YOU HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS DURING YOUR PREGNANCY? Yep, unfortunately little Baby Stegs developed IUGR with her belly measuring way smaller than her head (worst kind)...I was on restrictions toward the end of the pregnancy and had to lie down on my left side a lot (even during nursing classes...ha, ha!) :) Then I had to be induced (awful!) because they feared the placenta was cutting off blood/food supply to her...not fun...I still remember that ultrasound where we found out about the IUGR and how I sobbed after in the car and Kev was so worried he pulled over to console me...it was not a pretty sight...no one wants to hear there is something wrong with their baby...they predicted she be this puney small little 4lb baby, but she turned out to be a healthy 7lbs, 2oz...thank the Lord!

20.WHERE DID YOU GIVE BIRTH? Grand Rapids, MI (Good ol' Downtown Spectrum Health!)

21. HOW MAY HOURS WERE YOU IN LABOR? Too Freakin' Long! I dare say it was over 32 hours thanks to awful doses of pitocin and her not ready to come out! The pushing her out was the easiest part...only took like 30 minutes.

22.WHO DROVE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL? My wonderful, patient hubby :)

23.WHO WATCHED? Well, that depends...the actual birth was me (I wasn't watching...yucky yuck...I don't know how people watch their own births in mirrors...gives me the willies to think of that!)....my mom was in the room a lot, but didn't watch the actual delivery...and Kev's parents were in and out, but they didn't stay for the "birthing" either. I assume there was some nurses and a doctor too, but again...who knows...I was focusing on getting that "thing" out of me! :) Ha!

24.WAS IT NATURAL OR C-SECTION? natural (as natural as it can be with drugs involved :))

25.DID YOU TAKE MEDICINE TO EASE THE PAIN? YES! I foolishly tried some IV meds that just made my loopy and then I barfed...then I hit the good stuff with the all mighty Epidural!

26.HOW MUCH DID YOUR CHILD WEIGH? 7 lbs, 2 oz.

27.DID YOUR CHILD HAVE ANY COMPLICATIONS? Thankfully, none!

28.WHAT DID YOU NAME HIM/HER? Hailey Nicole (good thing she was a girl...the girl name was all we had and I'd be pretty bummed if I had had to name my boy Jedediah (Kev's choice for a boy) :))

29. HOW OLD IS YOUR FIRST BORN TODAY? The all mighty 7! (sigh)

Ok...so now that I wrote all that I'm a bit emotional about how old my "baby" is and how time has flown. I know it's so cliched to say, but time goes by toooooooooooo fast! I love you, sweet Hailey Nicole! Having you when I did was one of God's greatest gifts! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

#7...lmbo!!!! "Your cat is pregnant???" Ha!!!!
And Jedediah Stegemoller just doesn't sound quite right...what was Kevin thinking??? :)

Anonymous said...

Oops, I didn't know I let the cat out of the bag about your baby shower... I remember the shower but had forgotten I bought you a baby monitor... hmmm... sorry about that.

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Hey Guys...yes, I have to admit I still LMBO thinking about my mom's reaction...she truly will never live that down...bless her heart...she was mighty confused that day :) I guess I should have been more specific by saying "I AM PREGNANT"...not "you're going to be a grandma" :) Love you, Mom! You gave me something funny to write in the baby book...that's for sure! And, yes...Kev is still trying to live down his "Jedediah" name choice...I should post his "male name choices"...that would be a good post in itself :) Ha! Kev is not known for great name choices (I love him to death, but it's not his forte!)

And Sue...don't fret about the shower...like I said on your blog...I had an inkling that something wasn't legit about the mysterious visit to see Tammie's new house...but when I saw the monitor at your house I started to put it all together...and who knows...maybe the monitor could have been for you...everyone needs a good baby monitor even if they don't have a baby :) We still have that awesome thing...it's running right now...it's been awesome even after multiple falls down the stairs :) Thanks for a super awesome gift that has lasted through our 3 crazy kids and thanks even moreso for driving all the way down from 0-town to come to my shower...that really was awesome of you!

Love you guys! Hugs from your fellow mama! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, laugh all you want, but it really was a HUGE shock that YOU were PG!!!It would not even "compute" in my foggy brain!But, oh what a little BLESSING we received from that crazy time in your lives!!! God had a wonderful plan!

And we ALL must be very thankful that SHE was NOT a HE!!!! Who could EVER live with THAT name!!!!Kevin, would you really have done that to your SON!!??? I am now VERY thankful for the NAME Dylan!!!!Ya did GOOD on that one!!I am now looking forward to the POST of Kevins male name choices over the last few years!!Soon please! :)xoxoxo

crazystegmamaof4 said...

LOL, Mom, you know I love you and your response definitely was "award winning". I still remember almost not knowing what to say to "you're cat's pregnant?". I thought you were joking! I know I gave you a few heart stopping surprises when I a young college student so I can't entirely blame you for being confused...first, calling and saying I was engaged only halfway through my college career (and getting married 7 mos later)...then to add to that a baby before I was done with nursing school...I know I didn't exactly give you a break with all my news :) But, still...you gave me (and many others) a good laugh with your cat remark :) I think even our cats smirked a little at you that day :)

And, AMEN, on the blessing that God sent us through Hailey. Never would I have wished her to come at a different time in our lives. She brought our whole family closer together, I think.

And a double AMEN on her NOT being a boy! I think God knew there was no way our family could handle a Jedediah at that point...now don't get me wrong...I love my hubby for trying to find a good biblical name, but that one was....ummmm...not fitting for a son of ours. Good thing he came around years later and finally agreed to Dylan (and believe me...it took some strong persuaviness on my part to get that name to sound enticing :)). J/K, babe...we all love you! But, I might just have to dig out the old baby books and find your "unique" boy (and girl) baby name choices. It would give us all a good laugh I am sure!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kel! I remember you telling me your mom's response and how funny it was!:) Looking back, I don't really remember how you told me or what my reaction was! Maybe it was something along the lines of, "we can have kids at our age!?":) I now kinda feel behind the times watching you and your 3 beautiful children! I know my day will come!
Anyway, I was looking through old pics again and came across a few of a newborn Hailey and you and me outside! I do remember making a spaghetti bake for you and Kev! Boy how time flies!
Have a great weekend!
Love, Cil

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Hey Cil,
How are ya', my friend?! I have no clue how/when I told you I was pg? I must have told you over the phone though...cuz you were home during the summer right? I think you were shocked right along with me. It was a crazy time. Yes, I remember the awesome spaghetti bake you made us...that was so yummy and I just thought it was so nice of you...and all the other people that made us food. I had never heard of giving people food that had just had a baby...I guess I was a bit naive/clueless about that stuff...but food was such a blessing post-Hailey, especially to me who doesn't cook much anyway :) You were always so supportive. I remember those pics of us outside our old house with Hailey...it really seems like just yesterday doesn't it?? It's crazy how you almost blink your eyes and then you go from college to marriage to kids to being old :) Ha! Just wait...your day of having a big ol' family will come! I can't wait to see it all unfold...it'll be great! Keep me posted and hopefully we'll talk soon (school is out next Wed. and I'll have more time after that!)...are you all moved yet?! Love ya and miss ya! Enjoy the long weekend!
Hugs, Kel :)