The pics are "non-post-related" again...but I guess they emphasize the point "be happy" :) Here's the girls "skating" last week while daddy was making ice cream :)
Dylan driving with his foot :)
Shelby after enjoying red velvet cake batter :) And below is "speedy Hailey" on her new roller blades...I kept calling her "Speedy" and although she said it annoyed her, I think she loved it :) Ha!
Ok, so I'm on a little mission lately to "destress" my own life and those around me. Granted it's a VERY slow process and I'm horrible at truly relaxing and not getting anxious about stuff...but for my 100th post today (whohoo!) I simply just wanted to post some interesting statistics that were posted in our bulletin at church yesterday...it made me think a little about the things I needlessly worry about and maybe it'll do the same for you.....
40% of the time we worry about things that will never happen.
30% of the time we worry about things we cannot change.
12% of the time we worry about criticism from others that are untrue.
10% of the time we worry about our health.
8% of the time we worry about legitimate problems.
(Research done by David Stare...not sure who he is, but I'm not at all surprised by his findings cuz I know I'm guilty of all that worry!).
So, that means 92% of the time we are worrying needlessly....putting undue stress on ourselves and in turn possibly causing those legitimate problems that we may have (health issues, etc)....Hmmm....I'm not gonna get on my big ol' soapbox today and preach about this...but doesn't it just make you think...what in the world is wrong with us all that we worry so much?! Now maybe you're a non-worrier and "hats off to you!"...I wish I was YOU! But, I know many are just like me. I am guilty of worrying about my health, worrying about my family's health, worrying about tomorrow when I should be living in the now and enjoying and living each day to the fullest, and worrying about what other's think of me, worrying about money, worrying about jobs, and the list could go on and on I'm sure. UGH! What a huge burden so many of us put on ourselves. I for one need to make a life change....not only do I need to stop worrying (or at least curb my worrying so it's not so massive)...but I need to "cast all my cares upon Him" and NOT worry (as Matthew 6:25-34 says). For you cannot worry and worship God at the same time (this was said in church yesterday too...and it's so true!). Anyway...so that's my sermon for today....short and sweet :)
So, yes, I'm on a mission to be less worrisome and help those around me be the same...though I admit I am doing a poor job so far. Yesterday was just bad, bad, bad. The only thing that made it bad was that I spent like 3 hours trying to decipher my PTO minutes and type them out into legible form (the grand ol' job of the new PTO secretary..me). I got so anxious about the whole thing that I was almost panicked...I could hardly function. I knew all along how silly it was to waste my time on that, but the perfectionist in me will just not let things go. I finally gave up and put it aside, but late last night I started to get the upper abdominal pain I used to have all the time (but haven't had in 6 mos)...anyway...I know it was stress-related and try as I might I am having a hard time "casting this burden off". So very silly...I know...I really do know that...such a trivial thing. So, now you know...I get anal about things...yes, it's a major downfall of mine. I really have been pretty good about stuff the last 6 mos since starting this blog, but I guess the old habits can rear their ugly heads at any point (such is the way of the devil...he knows how to put that doubt and worry in your life). Anyway...so I just wanted to share with you my thoughts on worry and how important I think it is to NOT be anxious.
And with that I will end on a "funny" note. Today Hailey had one of her good friends over...now I'm not sure what denomination she is, but I know she goes to church and previously I thought she might be catholic? Anyway...in the car Hailey wanted to listen to our VBX music which is very loud/boisterous and very much "praise-like" (not hymn-like :))...anyway...her friend heard the music and said..."this is rock music about love and it must be GOTHIC!" What?! I almost burst out laughing...it was hard to contain it. Gothic??? Is that really a word in a 7 year old's vocabulary. She then asked Hailey if she was a Gothic Christian (can you even be a gothic and a Christian?hmmm??) Anyway...Hailey said "yes", cuz I know she has no idea what gothic even is (her friend explained it was when you "wear all black"...and that's "ok" and sometimes "she wears all black too") Anyway...it was an interesting conversation. Made me really wonder what songs her friend listens to (among other things that I wonder about this girl :)) I was proud of Hailey though...she just kepting saying, "this is music about God" and she just kept singing and doing the motions :) I guess we'll need to talk about the whole gothic thing when she gets home from camp today. Can I tell you I'm just so excited about my kids growing up and all the "fun" things we're gonna need to start explaining to them. Gone are the carefree baby days......sigh :(
Anyway...so happy Monday to ya'll out there and whohoo on my 100th post! My hope for everyone today is simple, but true (and you can sing it if you like :)) "Don't worry, Be happy" :) Love ya'll!
6 comments:
Kel:
Girlfriend, do I have some notes to share with you! I have been the reigning queen of "WorryWartland" for way too long and I am working very hard to relinquish my title!
I think I told you that I got to attend a Beth Moore seminar on our trip to Omaha. Well---guess what the first night's topic was? ANXIETY! God knew I had registered and gave her a lesson just for me! (It actually was her first time presenting it!)
Beth gave 6 points on the power that prayer can have over the bondage of anxiety in our lives. As usual, her lesson was awesome! This one really hit home.
#1 Anxiety leaves us unguarded against attack. Anxiety says "I don't believe God" -- just the doubt Satan desires us to have. Prayer sets up the guard and reverses anxiety. PRAY LIKE ONE BEING HEARD!
#2 Anxiety makes reasonable people unreasonable. Anxiety clammers for relief and looks for quick relief -- to the point of causing us to panic. WAIT UPON THE LORD AND PRAY. There is nothing more powerful than prayer. Prayer restores reason.
#3 Anxiety presumes inappropriate authority. Anxiety is rooted in the need for control. It takes over God's job. WE CAN'T DO THE GOD JOB! He is the God who was, is and is to come. Prayer positions the concern under God's authority.
#4 Anxiety chokes out the Word. If you continue with anxiety, the Word cannot take root. BREAK FREE! Prayer CLAIMS the Word!
#5 Anxiety depletes our energy. God says, "I will NEVER give you energy to worry with" -- NOT ONE OUNCE!! -- We will only get to use our own and that's why it will wear us out! He doesn't come to take sides; He comes to take over! Prayer taps into His energy. Ask Him to fill us up.
#6 Anxiety disintegrates our focus. Just what Satan wants! Distraction leads to addiction which leads to destruction. Anxiety is like spiritual ADD. Prayer can focus everything in ONE direction. UP and to the Father!
I know this takes up a lot of your blog space, but I loved this message - it certainly spoke to me - and I am sure that it could easily apply to all women. My notes were not the most coherent, but that's what I jotted down as listened and blotted tears from my eyes. What a moving event!
"NEVER WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING. BUT IN EVERY SITUATION LET GOD KNOW WHAT YOU NEED IN PRAYERS AND REQUESTS WHILE GIVING THANKS. THEN GOD'S PEACE, WHICH GOES BEYOND ANYTHING WE CAN IMAGINE, WILL GUARD YOUR THOUGHTS AND EMOTIONS THROUGH CHRIST JESUS." -- Phillippians 4:6-7 (GW)
Love ya, friend. I hope you find this as enlightening as I did. ;-)
Please don't stress out with perfectionist issues. Life is too short. Learn to work with non-perfect things. (kids, husbands and life in general)In a nutshell, you may die tomorrow and what will be done about that. Take ONE DAY at a time.!!! One day after another is all we have.
Hey Kel!
First of all...what Jill wrote about anxiety and worrying is GREAT! As I was reading your blog today, I understand what you go through. When I worry and stress...it gets me nowhere, except a pounding migraine. Worrying is pointless...we need to cast our worries on God b/c that is what He is there for!:)
Here are some quotes and bible verse that are posted in my cube at work:
"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God" Corrie Ten Boom
"Relax, God's in Charge"
TRUST in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding in all you ways acknowledge Him and HE WILL DIRECT YOUR PATHS. Proverbs 3:5-6
When you need to know the way to go ASAP...Always Say A Prayer
Seek and you will find. Matthew 7:7
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13
Love ya!
Priscilla
Awww, thanks girls...you really all are such a great support to me and I love the scriptures and the awesome, awesome Beth Moore info. I keep saying I need to go to one of her seminars...I've heard they are amazing! Thanks for posting those, Jill. I think Beth is so insightful and such a spiritual inspiration...she is such a wise, gifted lady. How amazing that she spoke on just what YOU needed...and I'm sure what MANY of us crazy moms/wives/women need! Anxiety gets me when I least expect it...and it truly is a paralyzing some days. I do know that feeling of panic...even over simple things...and I need to learn to give it all to God right away rather than let it eat away at me...prayer is so simple and so easy...yet often I use that as my last ditch effort...I need to work on that! And I love that one point where we need to tap into "His energy" so he can fill us up! No wonder I'm worn out and exhausted. I'm wasting all my energy on anxiety...I need to prayerfully ask for help in those times of burden and worry. Such a simple "duh" thing to say...but it's a matter of me doing it...of me "laying it at His feet".
Thanks with all my heart for posting those points, Jill, and sharing Beth's insight and your own. I guess we'll have to share the title of "queen of Worrywartland"...ha...you crack me up! Maybe we should both relinquish are titles. But, seriously...you are so insightful...and I appreciate your heartfelt comments. I think you need to start your own blog...really...you have great advice...both spiritually and just every-day kid of stuff...you could write a book on Maddie and Jacob's comical upbringing :) Bless you, my friend...and thanks for bringing me a little peace in a crazy day. And BTW...I would have never guessed you were a worrier...you are so cool, calm and collected always! :) Love ya, Jill...praying for you too...for less anxious days ahead! :)
And, mom, are you anonymous #2...of course that has to be you! You are right on with your advice...I know I need to live each day to the fullest as if it could be my last. We all know that after the last 13 months. But, it's good to be daily reminded of the simple joys and the important things. So "poo, poo" to those dumb PTO minutes and on being a perfectionist!! Love you lots, Mom! XOXOXO
And, Cil...hey, girl...I know you and I are both worriers too...and I know it both effects us physically ...I remember you and your migraines...I still think about that and pray for you. Stress/anxiety/worry is such a nasty, nasty thing on all aspects of our lives. The alternative is really so simple (to cast it all off on Him)...but with our stubborn hearts and sin rearing it's ugly head daily...it's just not as simple as it should be. I love the verses and quotes you have posted at work...I need to do that around our house or at least in my room/bathroom. Might help me keep focus every day. I love your ASAP quote...that's really neat! As always I'm praying for you...and I miss ya'! Hang in there...being less stressed is such a hard thing to overcome...always easier said than done...Love ya lots, Kel :)
Thank you! Apparently, I am a better actress than I thought!! I'll start preparing my Oscar speech!! Ha!
LOL, Jill...yes, you do deserve an award! Bravo!!! :) :) :)
Post a Comment