
- I am very emotionally attached to my things...I know there are worse packrats than me, but I am definitely up there with the best of them. But I am proud to say I detached myself a bit and got rid of some stuff that I've been hanging onto for too long .
- My hubby has me beat in the packrat department :) I was thrilled to learn this cuz it actually made me feel better about myself...he had waaaaaay more boxes of crap than I did! What's up with keeping ALL your toys from your childhood? He had boxes and boxes of legos, transformers, GI-Joes, matchbox car stuff...yikes! Good thing we have a boy to use them (or maybe that's bad cuz now we're keeping them even longer??)
- I am thankful for my mom who hopefully got rid of a lot of my old stuff from home...cuz it would overwhelm me to go through all my old toys and school papers like Kev had to do :)
- Luckily Kev does not get overwhelmed by stuff so he actually enjoyed going through his old stuff...and I had fun making fun of him and his old stuff :)
- Kev and I both agreed...it'd be awesome if our moms just came and cleared out our stuff for us....I've been told Kev's mom is great at that and I know my mom is too. Wouldn't that be fun, mom?!
- Kev and I both got some good laughs out of some old pics of ourselves (i.e....Kev as a young boy with buck teeth in an ugly plaid shirt and a tie...no wonder he never wears ties anymore...that memory must have scared him...it was hilarious! And Kev wearing a purple shirt and aqua plaid pants...he still loves those 80's colors :)) If I learn how to scan stuff I will have to copy some of these old pics of Kev and me and post them....you guys will totally crack up!
- Kev and I both agreed that we probably would not have been attracted to each other if we'd known each other in high school! :)
- We both agree...Dylan does NOT at all look like Kev as a child (you were right, Mom Stegs)...and I came across some old pics of me that I think completely resemble Dylan...so I guess he does have lots of my good ol' genes :)
- There were so, so many wonderful/emotional pics of me and all of my grandparents...one in particular that was so cute...my grandpa G pretending (or maybe really?) sleeping on the floor in our house in FL covered in my favorite sesame street blankie...and so, so many of me laughing and smiling with G&G F :) All great memories...but emotional to find and look through...
- I did not remember how large I was in my early college years. There are many pics of me in my first and second year of college and I had more than gained the freshman 15...I think I gained 30 (or more)...I remembered being slightly big (thank you, Calvin food), but had blocked most of that from my memory....and Kev was actually fairly skinny (which I remember also)...I think I need to post those pics....I'll work on that....
- I also came across some hilarious photos and notes from many of my old buds...Sulu, Stef, Wen, Cil, Hol, Lein, Laura V, Buffy oh my...some were hilarious! I have to admit...I've forgotten many of those old high school/college memories...but all the pictures brought the memories back
- I actually dumped old wedding stuff...that was a tough one to do....I even had old candy from 9 years ago from our wedding showers??!! What was I thinking?? Ewwww! But, I must say...I was a VERY organized bride...I was proud to learn that cuz I don't remember that.
- I have too many: Candles, frames, photo albums, vases, and crystal things (that must have been the "in thing" to give at weddings...or maybe it still is...but who really has room for crystal stuff (especially when they have kids)???) I guess it's a good "basement filler" for now :)
- In accordance with the last point...I've vowed to now burn a candle every day for the next 20 years cuz I think I have that much wax to burn! :)
- The number one thing I learned is to trust my husband and not get overwhelmed and just chill out...ok, so that's three things...the number one is to trust my hubby (which I do)...he could see the light at the end of the tunnel and I just could not. I basically told him Sat. morning that we were never gonna get that basement cleared out and I was just not going to even try (yes, I can be psycho sometimes as I you all know :))....so I need to learn to chill out....I guess that's why God gave me such a "chilled out" hubby :) I'm blessed! :)
Ok, so I know there is more stuff I learned about myself and my hubby, but I really do need to get my rear off this chair and get cleaning so I can be ready for an early viewing of the Pirate movie this afternoon. Hope you all had a great weekend.
P.S. How could I forget to thank Kev's awesome parents for taking ALL THREE of our kiddos for 3 whole days....wow, we are forever in debt to you and we sincerely hope you survived without too many "P" issues (aka pee/poo/puke :)). We actually only called Nina and Poppy once to check up on everything...and all seemed to be going well....I don't have many details...just they all seemed to sleep well and had fun at a water park yesterday. I'm sure I'll get more in dept info tonight from our chatty Hailey :) But, really, we can't thank you guys enough for letting us have this "alone time" to get stuff done (even though we didn't relax much I feel like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders...and that is a big thing for me!). So, thanks for taking on the task of corralling our 3 crazy kiddos all weekend. We love you guys!
2 comments:
Hey Kelly!
I totally understand about having to clear out old toys etc. Josh and I have boxes upon boxes of toys, old school books and papers, and of course all the things that you need to decorate your house during the holidays. We have said in the past that when we moved into our house it only took three or four pick-up truck loads. Now if we ever get the notion to move to another house it would take 3+ loads in a large U-Haul plus a healthy dose of Prozac. One nice thing about the toys is that Emma loves to play with them. I am sure the day will come when we need to purge. I too will have a break down. I think that the hardest thing to do will be selling her baby clothes. There will be tears!
Love you, Ann
PS. you were not the only one putting on the freshman 15 only I think that mine was 50. I got that off only to put it back on by having Emma.
Hey Ann!
I've been thinking about you a lot lately! How are you?! Did you already go to Disney...I can't remember when in June you were going??!!
I'm glad Kev and I aren't the only ones with tons of old stuff to go through. I finally had to part with most of my old nursing books...that was tough too as I know how much those big ol' things cost back at Calvin, but who the heck needs them all?! Not me! And, I totally understand the holiday clutter...we have probably a whole shelf-full of crates with everything for every holiday...even our fav. holiday...St. Paddy's Day! :) I laughed cuz we said the same thing about if we move again...we'll need a few of those sumo-size U-Hauls...we have waaaaay more now than we did back in 2001 when we moved. It's crazy how stuff piles up, especially when you have kids and all their stuff too. And LOL on the Prozac...I could have used some of that this weekend...ha! :) We are unfortunately at the purging stage of our toy piles...we just have so, so, so much...but I feel guilty getting rid of stuff...cuz our kids our still small. Still, how many stuffed animals do three kids need??!! But, yes, the kids love to play with the toys so most of them have stayed...at least you have a partially finished basement and a big living room to store them...we are limited on space.
And I have to say...I didn't even blog about all our baby clothes...that would have had me in tears. I just can't part with any of them...I have them all perfecly organized...and how silly is that?! We are 90% sure we won't have any more kids...but I still can't bring my heart to part with them. It's gonna be a very sad day when I have to say good bye to all those baby memories...I think that'll be a day I go shopping and Kev has a garage sale for me :) I know there will be tears that day and I am not ready to face that yet :) Just gettting rid of wedding and honeymoon stuff after almost 9 years of marriage was hard. It's just not easy getting rid of parts of your past :) But, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one emotionally attached to things of the past :)
I love ya, my friend. We'll talk soon! Give that Emma girl a hug from me! Love, Kel :)
P.S. I blame my weight gain on all that gourmet food at Calvin...there was always too much to chose from...how can you resist...though I guess I was partly lazy too and never exercised :) Don't worry about baby weight until your done having babies...that's always been my motto! Love ya!
Post a Comment