Me and my honey at the big ol' waterfall (Mingo Falls) in Cherokee :)
This is our annual carving spot at the bridge by Mingo falls...good ol' Pops (my dad) always does a carving for each new child and this last year we added Dylan and also added a memorial for my grandpa who passed away (thus the RIP Dad)...we always look forward to seeing it every year :)
This is a new annual fun event "girls day out"....last year my aunt took Hailey and my cousin Celyn out and they got all matching stuff from outfits and hair to matching grown-up purses and face painting. This year Shelby gets to join in the fun!
Above is the cabin we rent with my parents and my brother and his wife-to-be :) It's an awesome place and overlooks the creek...we love it!
Us overlooking the mountains...Maggie Valley is right by the Blue Ridge Parkway and it's an amazing drive...look at those Smoky Mountains! Breath-taking!Ok, so that's a common saying around our house, but I'm excited to say "my need" will actually be coming true in just 3 more days! Whohoo! In honor and celebration of our upcoming annual 4th of July trip to the good ol' fashioned town of Maggie Valley I thought I'd post a few pics of our past trips. That way for those of you who will miss me (which will be everybody, I'm sure! :)) and shed some tears that I'm not blogging for a whole week...you can look at these pics of me and smile as you imagine me in the midst of this beautiful peaceful mountain scene. We have had so many good times over the years in good ol' Maggie Valley, NC. I don't even know when we honestly started going there (I was very young), but I just remember my grandparents first cabin there (or at least I think it was their first)...it was a small little thing tucked neatly about halfway up the mountain and I still remember all the good times we had there....on the gazebo across the road overlooking the amazing stream...all the cookouts...all the family times...all the peacefulness. And we still get to do some of those things at that same little cabin (part of my family rents it out every year). But then my grandparents built an even bigger and better cabin farther up the mountain with the most amazing view...it really is breathtaking. I wish I had better pictures cuz it really is amazing. It's the most relaxing place...so enjoyable to just sit and breathe the fresh mountain air, watch the hummingbirds eat from the feeders and just relax. I can't wait...can't wait for the fun times we're gonna have there in a few days with my extended FL family cooking out, shooting off fireworks (we always have a lavish display put on by all the boys)...it's quite a show....and then all the fun times playing/swimming in creeks, horseback-riding, picnicing, climbing a million stairs to get to a beautiful waterfall, shooting guns (yes, even I do this...what a woman!) :)...among many other fun things. The times are always good...and they always go by too fast...and now there is sadness mixed in as we remember the love my grandpa had for his mountain home and the pride he felt seeing all his family gathered there. Those are the times I will remember and miss. My grandpa was in his element in NC...and that is where I will remember him being happiest. Those times I hold close to my heart. Today I just ask for a prayer... prayer for my grandma. She and my aunt are already at the cabin (they just drove up there from FL)...and my grandma is having a really, really hard time. She has had a rough couple months just reliving my grandpa's death and she just simply needs prayer....prayer for her mood to lift, prayer for her strength and will to live...prayer for her health (she has chronic lung issues). I wish I could just reach out and hug her and make this pain go away for her. She is the deares,t sweetest lady and I love her so much. It breaks my heart to hear how sad she is. She is just on my mind constantly today....and in my own prayers.....
So, with that I just wanted to leave you with some pictures. Hopefully I'll have time to blog once more before we leave, but I make no promises...this week has been crazy and I still have yet to pack. It's been another one of "those days" which is turning into "one of those weeks". I'm not gonna complain cuz I'm trying to do better with that. It's just been an up and down day. Started out with return trip to Walmart. Have you ever been charged for something that wasn't yours and actually wasn't even in one of your bags??? Well, let's just say stuff like this has been happening to me a lot lately...maybe it's cuz people see me pulling my hair out with 3 kids and they think "what a sucker...let's overcharge her...she'll never notice"...Who knows...but I never realize the mistake til I get all the way home...this happened last night at Walmart and this morning bright and early I made a return trip there to tell them I never bought a $3 pepper....thank goodness, Walmart never puts up a fight (unlike some store that starts with a T and ends with a T :))....anyway....so that was how my night ended last night and my morning started (and I do believe the weirdo in me even dreamed about the Walmart fiasco...I'm so strange aren't I?!). Just a hassle and I don't like hassles. I know it was JUST 3 bucks, but it's the whole principle, right?! Ugh! Kev thought I was nuts for driving back in there for a few dollars, but he amused me and said it was ok...oh well...I got my money back and I can sleep well tonight! So, there....
In other news I made the "big chop" last night...and got a new "do". I love it...it's very choppy/layered and not so short that I look like a big ol' melon head with frizz :) Anyway...it suits me and a it's a load off my mind (literally) to have a lighter/easier "do"! I love my hair shorter, but Kev always looks at me funny for days after...he even said last night "it's like I have a new wife" :) LOL! But, I think he meant that as a compliment (not that he wants a new wife :)). Anyway...so that's a done deal and it was a long time coming (4 inches off at least!)...been needing it for months...I only get my hair cut like twice a year, so this will be my big cut before my brother's wedding. Yahoo! :)
Anyway...in other news Shelby has started being a little more mannerly...not only is she saying "please" and "thank you", but she also says them in spanish (i.e....she'll say "please, por favor" all at once when asking for something") It kinda shocked me yesterday, but I'll take the "double please" over nothing, which is what I usually get! Thank you, Dora the Explorer!
Well, this post is very choppy, but that's my mood today...so oh well! Hope everyone is hanging in there! Counting down the days til the NC vacation...whohoo!
6 comments:
Ummm...Hello! You tell us you got your hair chopped and then don't even post a picture????? What kind of blogger are you????
Just kidding...I bet it looks great!
Love ya Bud!
-Heather:)
P.S. Can we go on vacation with you? We need one too:) Oh yeah, I forgot we're fish sitting for you...darn, oh well...
-HT:)
Hearing about Shelby saying "Por favor" reminds me of high school Spanish class... remember Tony saying, "Por Flavor" all the time? Funny. Or is that just me?
Okay -- first of all -- I am dying to see your hair! As someone who requires a haircut every 5-6 weeks (I wish I had enough to grow out!), I am envious of the "twice a year" thing!!
Your family pictures are simply wonderful. What a great time to share and remember and laugh and reconnect. That area of the country is beautiful. Enjoy your time together. I will say a prayer for your grandma. I am sure that this will be a time of very mixed emotions for her. Just know that your grandpa will still be there watching over his kids, grandkids and beautiful great-grandkids! You all have a marvelous family legacy with your reunion. I hope that we can create that someday with our kids and grandkids -- I'd love to start that tradition in our new favorite state of Nebraska!
If you need us to take care of anything while you're gone, let me know. I can always add a few things to Ross' "to do" list! Ha!
Do you need me to feed and water your new furry friends??!! ;-D
Have a safe trip! I'll miss your blog! Can't wait to see the pics!
Love ya friend!
Hope you have an AWESOME time with your family!
And post a pic of that haircut, woman!!! :)
Hey Guys...you all made me laugh!
I knew somebody was gonna ask about my crazy new "do". Thanks, Heather! I definitely would be a bad blogger if I didn't post that! I had Hailey takes some "very attractive" pics of the new cut this morning...so maybe I'll post them later if Kev can download them (don't worry...the chop isn't monumental...just better than that hippy look I was sporting lately :)). And also for your viewing pleasure I might post some awesome bike-riding pics of our awesome bicycling buddies and us!! Whohoo!
And you know I wish you guys could come mountain hopping with us in NC...that'd be awesome...we could bike ride all around Maggie Valley with you! Ha! But, Phil does need you! He's so excited to be seeing his fishy friends at your house! BTW...his eye is back to normal size...maybe it's his awesome clean new tank that did the trick?
And, LOL, Sulu...I do remember good ol' Tony...awww, he was so dang funny! And what was our crazy teacher's name again? She was mucho weirdo! Don't worry...I have the same crazy sense of humor! :)
And, Jill, thanks...you are so sweet. I am really, really looking forward to our trip...and to seeing my grandma who will hopefully be recovered and feeling better by then. It is neat to go to one place every year and spend time with family...we ALL look forward to it! I agree, you should make Nebraska your place! :) :)
And I might take you up on watching/feeding our furry/feathered friends...or at least maybe watering some of our indoor plants, which I could set on your porch? I'll let you know! Thanks for offering! Shelby has some cute seedlings sprouting and I'd hate to see them pass on while we're gone!
And, Amanda...you're so sweet too! I'll try to post the hair cut pic...it's not nearly as cute a cut as yours!
Love you all and hugs, Kel :)
Post a Comment