Saturday, March 22, 2014

A successfully productive (yet tough) day! Phew!

Well, we did it!

We actually made some amazing progress in our very scary basement.  I wish I had pics I could post.  Though pics won't do it justice.

What will do it justice is knowing that we just sent....

5 huge garbage bags to Kev's trash heap at work...
8 bags of clothing to Goodwill
10 boxes of household goods to Goodwill

and

3 bins will to go to Once Upon a Child next week

Kev's Yukon was filled to the brim with stuff.  It was pretty rewarding to see that go bye bye.  I almost wanted to keep it in the garage and save it til our community garage sale in May.  But, honestly, it just needed to leave the house and be forgotten.  And you know me and garage sales anyway...a waste of time and energy all for piddly money.  Not something I enjoy at all.

So it was a "tough love" kinda day.  All seven of us dug in (well, six....but I will say Logan was a trooper and to the longest nap ever....and he played happily downstairs amidst the clutter when he was awake :)).  But, all the kids lent a hand.  Just about everyone was in good spirits and happily sorted and discarded stuff.  Poor Shelb. She is our emotionally-attached-to-things-girl.  She had a mental breakdown over daddy tossing her Scooby-Doo.  It was major hysterics and garbage diving.  All over something she already thought was gone anyway (he'd been lost for a year or two or more).  Anyway....after that it was all downhill for her.  She was crying over everything.  She couldn't believe I was parting with some of my wedding stuff, clothes, toys...you name it.  The day was obviously emotionally taxing on her.  She loves her stuff...and even other people's stuff :)  Bless that girl.

I was proud of myself though. I didn't hardly look or think about things. I just tossed them.  I got all our clothing organized and in bins.  I gave a good portion of it away to Goodwill.  I didn't even go through paperwork. I just dumped it in the garbage. I got my mom's room all cleaned up.  It's ready if she wants to come now! haha :)  I even got the storage room all cleaned up and organized.  I got all my party stuff organized.  I've wanted to do this for ages.  It's all in a big bin now.  All the dress-up stuff is organized (Ash and her friends will be thrilled when they play now!).  I think I can even let her friends play down in the basement.  It's not as embarrassing now.  Kev can almost get started on taxes down there too. There is actually room to walk.  I took some funny pics of me in my good ol' FLCS letterman jacket...while also wearing part of my wedding attire. Hailey was laughing at me :)  I almost threw it out, but she talked me into keeping it all.  We did part ways with LTS and MLP (Littlest Pet Shops and My Little Pony (old) stuff).  Now we need to part ways with half our books.  We could host a library in our house right now with our reading material.  We think and hope and pray the kitty mess is just at the bottom of the stairs.  Kev is cleaning that up now.  I think they were just mad about the mess down there and confused about the litter box.  I hope it's nothing more.   They seem pretty happy today...sleeping on Nina's clean bed :)

So, we still have lots more to do down there (going through paperwork and making a 2nd round through the toys.  But, I have full confidence that by the time my mom gets here in May we will have it pretty well done.  We also got our bedroom moved around a couple night's ago (back to how it was when I went into labor with Logan).  I forgot how nice it is to have it this way with Logan's area in the corner. 

Two major things done over spring break. I am happy.  It's not all complete or perfect, but I'm ok with that. It's honestly more than I thought we'd get done, so I'll take it.  Now to relax a bit and gear up for our last day of Spring Break, which also will be a terribly busy Sunday.  Soooo not ready for break to be over.  I wish we had a week off every month!  I think we'd be so much more rested and organized!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay!!!!!!! I am SOOOO proud of you!!!!! I know how good it feels to get a big project that feels so daunting DONE and out of the way. Good for you guys!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

YIPPEE!!!!!! I am sooooooooooo proud of you guys!! I know what a huge accomplishment that is!!! But doesnt it feel GREAT to see the the basement getting back in order!!??
And now I can come visit!! hahaha
You know I would visit no matter what!! :):)Keep up the good work! Even a little at a time is good! Love Ya, Mom xo

crazystegmamaof4 said...

Awww, thank you...support means a ton to me now b/c you know how I get...very overwhelmed. It helped to have my family all home that one day to do the basement, but I just can't seem to try to attempt anything by myself during the days. Progress is slow at best. I will keep plugging away...I need to be like the little engine that could...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can :)