Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Tumbler :(


Well, it finally happened today.  Something I really had hoped would never happen to my baby...but should have known better given that life is distracting and our boy is very quick on his knees now...

He took his first tumble down the stairs.

Thankfully it was the basement stairs which allowed him a fairly soft landing.

Let me backtrack...

I was looking for a lost book in a pile of clutter.  Logan had just woken up from his nap.  I had set him down in the kitchen as it was about time to leave to get Ash from preschool.  I was preoccupied looking for the book.  I turned to see where he was and he was gone.  I noticed the basement door open right way.  I could hear him grunting funny.  He had gone for the cat water which sits on the top step now.  He was actually head first all stretched out on three steps with the bowl in his hand (picture spiderman).  I think he would have been ok had I not scared him.  But, my quick movement startled him and down he went. It was awful to watch.  Just awful.  It was so slow motion and I was about two steps behind him the whole time, but could not bend over to get him. Instead I had to watch his little body bob from step to step and his little head hit the wall twice.  I was screaming.  He was probably scared to death so he didn't make a sound as he fell.  All the while he kept the cat bowl in his hand grasping it for dear life probably hoping it would make him stop falling.  He landed at the bottom (which was thankfully not full of toys at the moment) and looked up at me screaming with his big blue eyes full of tears.  It was just awful...awful.  I scooped him up as fast as I could and cried along with him.  We called daddy and cried some more.  By the end of the conversation with daddy, Logan was laughing at me.  Praise the Lord for making babies so resilient.  I don't think I'll ever forget how awful it was to see my baby fall down the stairs.  I've never witnessed one of my kids' falling the whole day down the stairs.  It sure looked traumatic and I have a feeling I'll be reliving it in my dreams tonight :(  So, so thankful he is ok (aside from a scrape on his forehead from the wall). I know it could have been way worse.  I had him take his nap on my lap today just in case he had concussion issues.  Poor kid.  He's back to his busy ways tonight :) 

So, he's got his first tumble out of the way :(  I was really praying this wouldn't happen to him.  I guess we have to have a better option for our kitties and the door being open

.  The only reason we don't have a gate on those stairs is b/c Syd and Sam (our cats) are too old to easily jump over the gate (we think Sam has arthritis).  So we want them to be able to be upstairs with us during the day and get to their litter/food too.  We will have to come up with a new solution b/c I cannot keep worrying about the basement door being open/closed.  I don't think my heart can handle any more tumbles down the stairs.  Heart be still!

The only bright side of the tumble down the stairs is that we think it finally scared the poops out of Logan. He has been constipated for over a month and he did the biggest poop ever after his fall!  I guess there is something to the statement "scared the crap out of ya'" :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, my sweet boy!! So thankful he is OK and no worse for wear! Must have been very sacry watching him roll all the way down to the bottom!I have a feeling this may be the first of MANY minor scrapes! He is a curious little man!! Give him a kiss from Nina! xo

Anonymous said...

Poor Logan and mommy! We have these for our kitties!
Carlson 0930PW Extra-Wide Walk-Thru Gate with Pet Door, White
http://amzn.com/B000JJDI0G

Anonymous said...

This is Priscilla! :)

Candy said...

Glad he is okay! Austin had his first a few weeks after we moved in here and it scared me to death! He was screaming. I just knew something was going to be broken but thank goodness all he had was a mark on his cheek. Scares the crap out of us Moms!